Sunday, March 07, 2004

Words from a Taxi Driver

It's rather humbling to hear from another person's perspective.

Taxi drivers are part and parcel of our daily lives. There is a demand for quick travel and they are there to supply us with this service.

No matter in what country, this job always exist and some might deemed it as a lowly paid job. I see it as a job that encompasses so much more than that.

They had to face the brunt of the SARS. They are the ambassadors for our nations for embarking tourists. They are at our helm with the wave of our hand. They don't save lives or significanly change us but they are here to show us the way.

I wish the cab driver that I conversed with won the Senior Citizens award.

It being a long journey, it was more than idyllic chat as we talked about the education system, the economy, the population decline, maternity leave, threat of other nations on Singapore's territory, the job industry and even our own family.

I shared my views as he shared his. I knew I was endangering my life with him concentrating on his driving (which was unnervingly fast) and with the chat we were having.

The journey was swift and brief but I got so much more from there. He gave me a piece of advice, a quote to face the future.

"Study your best, Expect the worst"

As much as I can study very hard now, whether any employers want me is a totally different ball game. Educational qualifications matter only that much.

Being a natural pessismist, I believe in Murphy's Law. I never place myself too high as I can get knocked down on the perch with one single blow from the government.

Some fantasized government ruling that I have made up to hit me with that single blow would be the following: -

1. Media industry is downsizing. MediaCorp & MediaWorks to merge.

2. Advertising expenditure to decrease for the next millenium.

3. Singapore bans all form of reality shows (including mydreamd8)

That my friend, would be the saddest thing in the whole wide world.

- Benjamin

P.S. I should start considering a career in cab driving.

P.S.S. I have a FREAKING guestbook ! It's about time man. Compliments and Criticism go here >>>>> Guestbook <<<<<

No comments: