Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Parenthood

We all know how parents are.

They nurture you from young, inculcating you with positive family values and when we reached the age of adolescence, we just hope that they slowly loosen their grasp on us, giving us the freedom to what we want to do.

I love my parents, and I'm sure you all do to. But there comes a time when you know enough is enough.

My parents always say "You big already lah, got wings can fly lah" when they wish to restrict me to certain stuff which they feel is not appropriate to my age.

I guess everyone loves the independence of choice, to do whatever we want, when we like it. That age is when we start to experiment and push the boundaries.

Parents act as an out-of-bound (OB) marker for us to not cross the line. Depending on the individual, we either heed the rules or make our own rules. Defiance runs in the blood of me I guess.

We often take parents as role models, someone to look up to and respect. I'm blessed to have parents who support me whatever I do.

I know their wishes from young that they would like me to be someone successful like a lawyer or a doctor. Which parents does not want to see their son established and well-off?

They gave me the choice to choose my own secondary school. They gave me the choice to choose whether I was heading to junior college or polytechnic. They gave me the freedom of choice and I respect that. And I admittedly sometimes abuse it but that’s not the point today = p

When I see wailing children on the street, I often see how each parent handles each situation. Each parent either pampers or punish.

Then, what if the scenarios came down to me? Hard or soft approach?

I'm still old school material since I prefer discipline. A kid needs to know that certain boundaries are simply unpassable be it whether it's their choice or not. Only till a certain age will I be more open, like how my parents treat me.

Is it the correct formula of parenting? I won't know. But limiting one's choices from young and then opening them up slowly later as time passes seems more appropriate. It's like a parent protecting a child, not exposing them to certain dangers until he feels that his kid is ready to face the world.

- Benjamin

No comments: