Friday, March 12, 2004

My career in advertising

I know it seems that I have a lot to blog today.

I think there should be around 4 posts below so read and find them since I was on a short hiatus away from the blogging world.

I think I mentioned this before but I'm just going to do it again.

Ever since choosing a career path in advertising, I have come to terms of both the positive and negative aspects of this industry.

You don't mean anything to your company. Period.

I think this might apply to all industries but essentially, all the company's board of directors do is care about the bottom line, where their next bowl of Nagoya rice grains will come from.

Therefore, loyalty to the company is as cheap as the dirt you step on.

I always had this notion of being faithful and stay with a company till death do us part. All I come to realise is that all the company wants to do is sap away the quintessence of our soul and make full use of it until we expire or past our usefulness.

It is a sad world out there but I guess these are the harsh realities of the working world that I have to accept.

As a teenager, I used to think that the working world is where you establish yourself and earn your dough. It's fun, energetic and full of experiences. How I wish that was true because it isn't as it is a really dog eat dog world out there.

Being only an intern for the past 2 weeks, I have seen many facades of employees gossiping about one another. It's politics that is unavoidable in any situation.

I guess I have to learn to accept it. The politics, the working environment and the industry that I choose to associate with.

I love the advertising industry because of all the creativity that transpires me and I wish to be any part of this sector be it media planning, creative production or account management.

Not to be oxymoronic here, but the advertising industry has its flip side to fun too. Seeing your work out there, intriguing peoples' minds to think and fulfilling your client's demands, the satisfaction you get from it is limitless.

You don't have a choice in every situation. It is not every situation that you can have the decent half of a burnt cake.

That's life I guess. Swallow it and spit it out.

You need to taste the bad before you can experience the goodness of life.

- Benjamin

No comments: