Monday, March 15, 2004

Cliques

The world is full of cliques.

Political parties, trade unions, soccer pals, mahjong khakis and working colleagues.

It is human nature for men to find emotional comfort to conform to the common.

I never liked the idea of cliques. Never did, never will but it subsists in my deluded subconscious mind anyway.

That's because with cliques, there are the outcasts. The nerds. Geeks. Outsiders. Gaijins.

Nobody likes to be left out in anything but as long as you don't fit in a clique of either jocks, hard-working colleagues or stylish metrosexuals, you will never be able to find your innate ability to relate to a group.

I never like to be moulded into one senseless group of people doing something nonsensical without the notion of consequences hitting right back at you in your butt.

A true life example was some of my school mates back then, all of them joined a CCA and I refused to join. Yes, we were close friends but that doesn't mean I don't have a mind of my own.

I was okay with the idea of this CCA they were all interested but I decide to resist and go against the idea of registering with them.

Yes, I confess to being in cliques here and there in school, in work and even in mydreamd8.

In school, I'm close to a certain bunch of people who are my project mates and my mahjong pals. In work, I'm closer to the younger crowd and the account servicing side of the company.

In my dreamd8, I'm closer to people whom I went out with outings because I know them more in reality than what is portrayed on their blog.

The reason why I'm debating my mind with the idea of cliques is that it is unhealthy and it should not be practiced but it can only come under deaf ears.

I don't practice shutting out people I don't "click" with. Instead, I try my best to establish some form of decent conversation with them even though it can be patronising or become a bastard.

Then again, if people choose to shut themselves and choose not to be in a clique. Go for it. I did that once before because I couldn't fit in. But then I realised. It is an endless cycle of struggle and closing up your social circle limits your humanity.

It is a matter of conformity and not a choice.

Unless you love to be in a world of your own.

Then, you're delusional. And you have your own right to be one.

- Benjamin

P.S. I'm being nonsensical again.

No comments: