Thursday, March 11, 2004

Long distance relationships

**** There is a section in Mydream d8 blog that I like to bullshit and since I wrote this and it is my thought on how long distance relationships are. I present to you my take on LDR.****

I guess the majority of us here don't have long distance relationships.

We always see our lovers/crushes like everyday that sometimes, we wish it was like some other hot babe/hunk that could replace that image.

When you're spouse/lover goes overseas, you start to have an inkling over him ..... or even love the fact that he is gone.

My half-cocked theory is based on relationships of unmarried couples who are having a long distance relationships (LDR).

LDR will not work. Period. Unless you fantasize and masturbate to your lover overseas to show how much you miss him/her through phone sex or whatever that pleases you 2, a relationship is difficult to maintain through matter of words and emoticons.

There are two types of LDR. One is where two individuals that have met up in real life and then one suddenly has to depart like a Korean drama to save herself in another country because of brain cancer or that she need to go study or her future will be in peril. Usually it's the latter.

Then the 2nd type of LDR where both have not met up in real life before and are just maintaining a connection mostly through the internet be it webcam, email, forums or some form of long distance stringed-paper cups.

My stats which I derived from digging my nose and ear with the same finger that accounts to the results of this study is that 95% of the 1st type will end up as a failure and the 2nd type is 99%.

Why the high failure rate you might ask?

Simple. A relationship is built by 2 individuals in love, trust, faith, commitment and effort.

Some make it a point to call one another to profess their undying love everyday, some just leave their relationships be.

Whatever it maybe, we individuals are all different so we view communication in a bond of love very differently.

My "findings" show that the 1st type of relationship will sustain for an average of 3 months before one falls into the infidelity vortex and eventual communication breakdown.

The other "finding" is more concrete. I have evidence of 1 person. (that's substantial enough for a research, I wish to applaud my Mass Media Research lecturer for imparting "this" much of knowledge) who constantly looks online for love.

That person is my cousin. She has been hopelessly searching online for the past 6 years and did she found anyone with mutual intentions? YES ! but when they meet up in real life, the distance that kept them apart suddenly felt heavy and found out the reality of the gap they bridged.

Love, be it distance that keeps two apart or may it be time to see one another, is a responsibility. Maintanence, passion and the faith for the other's love is what makes a relationship work.

My personal input in this is that if I ever have a scenario of number 1, I would let the person go. I do not wish to burden her or even burden myself because if we are fated together, we will eventually be together. Forever more.

Cocked to you by,
your hopeless romantic,
Benjamin

No comments: