Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Ups and Downs of an intern

This is based on what I have gone through the last 3 days.

Being an intern, you are the lowest rung of the entire company ladder. Even the auntie who clears the dustbin is higher than you because of two reasons.

A. Her pay
B. Even the CEO has to greet her warmly or she can threaten to not clear the waste paper bin of confidential information which will then be infested with parasites and infect the CEO with an unkown contagious disease.

As I was saying, an intern basically is to do something out of nothing. As roles and jobs are already assigned to the different people working in their jobs, your prescene there is more of an hinderance than a help.

In all serioushood, this is the case when I approached my supervisor after I had done all the assignments he delegated me to and he had to think for a full 5 minutes before he shooed me out because of a phone call.

I know he is a busy man and my prescene is not needed when he had to attend to so many things except me which I understand.

An intern however is the basic building block of your worklife, you will have to swallow and do all the chit that is thrown to you before you go up to the next rung which is kopi kia.

Everyone starts off as an intern or as some lowly rung position and I am taking my line in place because someday, I know I will climb the ladder eventually.

Until then, I might be best friends with the coffee lady, that is if she accepts me in her "clique".

- Benjamin

No comments: