Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Ben the Geek

Okay, I'm suppose to be working but here I am. Blogging.

For your information, I'm on my bed currently, halfway through writing a Creative Brief and I need a breather.

Hence, Blogging.

I wonder why do I even put in so much into my internship. As of late, work have been getting more thrilling as I get more exposed to meeting Clients and getting involved in meetings that involves heated discussions and awkward moments.

Human politics at its true nature.

Another piece of information, it's 11.30 pm and I have to finish 3 Creative Briefs by 8.30 am in the morning. That includes sleep in between and travel time.

Then what the fuck am I doing here ? As I said, de-stressing.

Somehow, writing is an outlet for me to slowly vent my thoughts and calm my nervous frantic brain. A theraputic effect, I suppose. As I was rushing to meet the client with my supervisor walking alongside to me, we made casual chat.

Supervisor:"So, what do you do in your free time"
Me: "Definently not golfing." (All the MEN in my office follow golf and their tee-offs very closely)
Supervisor:(chuckles)"How about other sports?"
Me: "Is writing a sport?"
Supervisor:"Um..."

Okay, I'm officially a geek in the eyes of my supervisor. And also to the people who have just read the conversation above.

So, I'm a geek who loves to write (or type) and someone who hibernates (because of the freezing temperature in my Ad agency) for 12 hours while writing briefs after briefs after briefs.

I wonder if they would hire a geek like me. Which I have a gut feeling that they might and will.

Wahahaha!!! Months of hibernation and I'm looking forward to employment

That's because Mindef has decided not to enlist me early and I guess since I'm going in either October, November or December, I might as well work as a slave.

So until then, I can join the meat market before I get packaged off to the Army farm factory.

Which leads me onto my actual point of me getting hired. I so love to "run around the bush". Pardon me. Someone hit me with a plush toy that resembles the Nemo toy which you can get for free if you spend $120 at a KTV (private joke).

As I was saying, I might be promoted from ad intern to advertising executive. Which means better pay and higher expectations to perform.

The thing is I have been hardworking to the core and been performing to the best of my knowledge, which impresses my supervisor at my marvellous computer skills in Excel (okay, i'm boasting because I'm a geek-in-the-ass).

And the question lies "How much should I ask as my starting pay?" You can practically see dollar signs ringing in my eyeballs.

The thing about money is because I've been planning a HOLIDAY. Yes, an overseas trip to get away from the bitchy island aptly name Sing-a-whore (I'm crude, sue me). It would just be nice to get away even though I'll be spending ridiculous money to fly uncomfortably to a foreign land,

I wish to travel ALONE. Yes, like backpacking where in the US or Australia, people go backpacking in pairs or groups before they face eternal damnation like work and hence they backpack. I just want to make this journey alone at my OWN time and OWN place.

I just need the $$$. Or I could just continue writing as a sport. How exciting !

Your next door geek,
Benjamin

No comments: