Friday, February 06, 2004

Internship placement

Recently, I have been very curious where of I am going to work as a slave for 3 months with peanuts pay.

Final year DMC students have been lurking around the lecturers corridors to jump out from the unsuspecting corners to suprise/give a heart attack to our internship placement lecturer, Mr Ang, so as to choke him until he reveals where he has placed them.

Apparently, EVERYONE i know already knows where they are heading. Except me. Not that i am not not interested where I am going to be placed but I cannot seem to find the right corner to suprise Mr Ang. He somehow has developed an innate ability to avoid my shadow.

I am truly tempted to call or leave an email but it seems so impersonal like i'm a harried bunny who is so impatient that he wants to know the type of carrot he is gonna swallow. I'm ain't no bunny but a calmed and composed tortoise who cannot seem to keep up with the Ang shadow. Deep inside, the heart thumps for the hidden knowledge of where I'm gonna be placed, is breaking me apart softly with anxiety.

My friends have been placed into great attachment companies. Felicia is going to Huntington Communications, an established PR firm. Aaron is going to Maybank Corporate comm department.

I wish I knew mine. Other coursemates are heading to Mediacorp publishing houses, Bates Advertising, MCDS, MITA, SIM, Bates, Gosh, BP and NIE. All of them look pretty good placements that I would love to go of course.

If I end up at a sucky organization, I could either whine about it or I just live and make do with it.

If I ever whine about it, I can put up a very STRONG case to compare with people who went to better internship companies than me with the basis of not only my results, my extra cirriculum activities AND my extra extra cirriculum actitivties related to what I have done. I'm pretty sure what I have done so far can qualify me as top 10 student because I have basically multi-task and take on every possible role I could have in school.

School Newsletter photographer, School Newspaper Journalist, helped freelance desktop publishing on a school booklet plus yearbook designer, director of a course video, public relations co-ordinator cum events management planner for my academic club and leader of a 2nd placed final year project of an integrated communications programme. I've even been on 3 student exchange programmes and have been a hardworking student. Only thing missing to make me robo-student is that I have not gone for any overseas community projects to help the needy.

If the above is not good enough reason, I don't know what will. People have called me names. Freak, Super "Eng" guy and Superman. It is a wonder how I could manage all of the above added on with school projects and CAs in my early poly years.

IF I get a lousy internship placement, I can also choose to accept fate as it is. Just work, slave and essentially try to gather as much as experience you can from that place even though rumours are that you basically charge handphones for the people there, pour coffee and photocopy your glutes during your free time.

Nonetheless, I will make my job of shredding paper as useful as possible by reading all the confidential documents and telling all their competitors. What a hoot to boot if that happens !

For better, or worse. I still don't know where I'm gonna end up. My curiosity has reached its limit and yes, its boiling towards the direction of Mr Ang. Now, if only i know which pillar is he hiding behind in.

- Benjamin

P.S. Thank you for hearing me grunt about my misery of pre-ITP. Thanks goes out to Wen Jun for being my listening ear.

Photos of my new hair that was taken at the interview place just now. It is suppose to be medium brown but nobody notices it, i think it is too mild to be seen perhaps.




The butterflies were trying to escape through my eyeholes




Colgate advertisement that never saw the light of day

No comments: