Saturday, January 03, 2004

Reflections

Being a graduating student soon, it is time that I have to think about my future. When you are at a young age, you never put much consideration into what lies down the road but decisions have to make and since it is my life after all and it is a crossroad of my life, it was time to consider my options.

Being a media & communication student, I could have picked the typical route of being a Junior college student but I knew back then it was not my cup of tea. I was not strong in my Chinese literature and text hence my proclivity towards a more fulfilling education of being hands-on.

I was strong in my Mathematics and Science but I knew I didn't imagine myself as a chemist or an engineer as it would be too mundane. Hence, the choice of being in the media and communication field.

Having studied for this diploma in this last 2.5 years, it gave me some perspectives in life as during project work, you had to be mature at hand to take on the task. I feel that I have matured from where I stood back then.

Firstly, what were my interests in the media and communication field? The scope is wide ranging from Video production, Events management, Advertising, Public relations and Journalism. Personally, I have dabbled in each of the following above in my stint in School of Business.

I'm the director for my School of Business video prospectus, I co-organised my school Talentime, I was involved with the Final Year project management to a real client and I am writing and reporting actively for my school newspaper.

To summarise, I feel that I am a jack of all trades and master of none. My interests at the moment right now are slanted towards 3 areas.

Advertising. This is an attractive field that is always on the go like technology, it keeps on your toes and if you will be left behind if you are updated. It is pretty tough to succeed in this industry but it is a challenge that I would not mind considering.

Video Production. I have a strong grasp of the knowledge that I have learnt and I continually practice with it throughout my years here. The only thing though is I'm already tired of it because of the constant editing. On the other hand, I like copywriting and planning for a shoot and one of the strong reasons that keep me from this interest is the pay because if you are a nobody here, there is little you can pocket.

Journalism. I never envision myself in this industry. It can be cutthroat, it can be back-breaking. Deadlines and a strong comprehension of the English language is a must. I never perceive myself as a writer and probably still don't as a strong article writer. I could just take this up as an interest but there is more to explore here though.

After my national service, I would either enter the industry or getting my degree in an Australian university as it would be the most financially viable option if I intend to further my studies. Hence, I have dedicated the topic about where my future lies as school term is about to start and I am about to reach my big 2-0.

I would love to hear feedback from people who know me on where should I go. I know ultimately the choice I make is mine and mine alone but I would like a third person perspective.

- Benjamin

No comments: