Saturday, January 03, 2004

Kris

It was just another idyllic Saturday when a MSN messenger pop-up window caught my attention.

3 years. I never heard a word from him and here he was wishing me a happy Gregorian new year.

Let me give you some background information about him. His name is Kris Manios. A Dutchman who is 3 years my senior. I got to know him when he was the boyfriend of my cousin Daphne back in 2000. That relationship did not last long and he flew back to Holland.

During 2000, it was a 6 months waiting period before I entered polytechnic and so, we hang around alot with Daphne and her sister, Faith. He was like a hero that I looked up to because he was indeed someone that I could emulate.

He was patient, he was kind and he was cool to hang around with. He taught me lots of great stuff like the numerical system of Dutch language, hooked me up to broadband & made me a geek and he insulted my guts when I did not dare try contact lenses and he had to show me personally how to wear it when he had no need for glasses and wore my contact lenses to taunt me.

That was such great memories then. Going back to the present, we chatted continuously about what each of has been doing for the past few years. It was great moments catching up on what we were doing. For a period of time, Kris was in band singing and currently, he has 2 more years to go before he completes his degree in Amsterdam now.

Like me, he is still interested in the Japanese culture and he watches Japanese comedies, anime and horror. I have made a pact with him in 2009, we will apply for the JET programme because we are so enamoured with what the culture has to offer us. Even so, if I become married or if he does first, we will invite one another across continents to witness our marital vows.

Until then, a great buddy and pal of mine, Kris Manios.




Now, you can't really expect Kris to be that old. That is his uncle!

What a great start to a new year!

- Benjamin

No comments: