Sunday, January 18, 2004

Badminton

Yesterday after the meat fest, I had to head someone to kill those fats.

Barely awake at 9am, I had to halt my father to wait for me so I can accompany him to the badminton hall. He plays badminton like a sunday religion but still, whenever he enters a place, the tummy will greet the entrance first.

Allow me to pack you with some details first. I'm not really a very sporty person as I have little stamina but I have been training regularly whenever time allows. Badminton is a sport that I play on and off, not really excellent but so-so. I got a shock of my life when I went to the hall today. You could say "sport shock".

Badminton I believe was my best sport ever. I started out warm-up rounds with my father and wow, they kept making me run back and forth. For the first 15 minutes, I exerted all I could for the past energy that has been stored up since I last played badminton a year ago. It seems that I was a failure as I always can't seem to hit the cock.

Then, my father's buddies came over and he trained me. He would shoot far shots for me to return and I had to run very far back. It seems my basics were all wrong when I self-trained as everytime a far shot comes towards you, you have to retreat so that when you receive it, you would have more energy as your posture is more stable.

Barely 30 mins later, exhaustion took over and I felt giddy. I could not believe the standard of myself compared to others. I knew I was a bad sportsman but that bad ? Sigh.

My brother, came 30 mins later to whack the discpline out of me as he teased me with his nifty moves and all I could do was stand in awe at his prowess even though he did not trained for the last 4 years or so. By the way, he was a school badminton champion and it seems a skill you have is a skill you will have forever.

Badminton blood is in my family I guess, I could play badminton as a novice amateur I guess as I could still throw in some smacks and receives here and there. At the end of the day, it was a great family together session I felt as my father, my brother and me never got around doing anything together. This is a first in my family history books for a long long time.

- Benjamin

P.S. It seems that I have the blood of a blogger.

No comments: