Saturday, July 24, 2004

Whatta Day

I just took one step closer to Geek Nirvana. This is the story of my day.

Slacking around the computer for the early afternoon or so, I decided to go "army shopping" and be a typical kiasu Singaporean to prepare early.

So, I went to Beach Road market with Jun Mian (an officer aka my best friend) to go get all that nitty gritty army barmy stuff. JM was there as my consultant.

Technically, I was bored out of my wits and had no idea, no where and no notion of going anywhere after I got my stuff.

However, after browsing through the newspaper in the early morning, I wanted to go peek at the Starhub roadshow to go check out downgrading my Starhub cable 1500 plan to a daily plan. (I worked out the costs I'll only save 8 bucks, so I'm not gonna change) 

So there I was snooping around, as I wanted to go get a phone that has long battery life & no camera because of army (Told ya I was a ks singaporean).

Another reason was that I like the fact that Starhub charges you by the second and I can join the Hub Club with my Father's account to get all the freebies and discount (Once again, I emphasize, I AM A KIASU SINGAPOREAN).

In addition to that, Starhub has an excellent rewards system unlike M1 and Singtel and I can't believe why I have yet to switch to Starhub. It's time for me to hub over to be a hubber.

Upon reaching there, the crowd wasn't much for the early evening but I popped in to snoop around for information (Stage 2 of Decision Making Process from Consumer Behaviour Module).
Anyway, up on the stage at Ngee Ann City Atrium, there were contests being held. The first contest was something to do with Jeopardy with regards to Starhub's amazing cable/mobile/internet plans.

The second contest involved contestants playing Xbox live. The crowd was listless although volunteers were plenty from the lollipop age group.

The host pointed me and JM out from the crowd. I pushed JM forward to go for the try, as I honestly wasn't interested in winning the Xbox.

The emcee instead asked both of us to go up on stage. Without hesitation, I climb up on stage with JM.

I thought I was done for. The game should be some fighting game with bloodshed filled with punches & kicks.

It turned out to be a racing game. I was pitted against JM in round 1 and won by a comfortable margin. I was in the finals now facing a family man with 3 of his kids urging him on.

I wasn't thinking clearly though. My mind was on the racetrack and I'm super competitive.

Off in the finals, I came off with a good start. I was leading by 6 seconds after the first lap before my car head banged headfirst on a U-turn which caused me to spin crazily.

Shit. I panic ! I tried to reverse and it did a 360 degree on me. That was no good. I'm still headed to the frigging wrong direction.

Seeing the competitor within metres of me on the mini lap, I swerve to the proper direction and sped off. To some miracle, the guy's car was stuck in a rut or was in a wrong direction that he couldn't manoeuver his car.

I won. And I couldn't believe my frigging luck. I got a Xbox console. FREE.

((( Kiasu Singaporean sniggers )))
 
When I was asked to go to centre stage, a pang of guilt hit me and I had a thought to share the prize in some manner possible. But it was impossible.

I think the kids of that guy are cursing me to death at the moment but who cares, I've got an Xbox.

Back to the headline. Yes, with the Xbox, I'm a step closer to Geek Nirvana.

I should be buying monthly magazines with cheat codes and DVD trials. I should be buying accessories. I should be naming my Xbox "Sheila". I shall spend hours and hours of hogging the TV console playing Gotham Racing & not allow my parents to watch a decent 30 mins of news.

Gladly, I'm not THAT evil. But I don't think I can make it as a geek. I'll get bored easily of the games unless they are RPGs.

But then again, I'm a lucky bastard. That's what JM says.

Some random photos of my lucky day. = )



 
Cheesy meets Kooky
 
 
The cows goes moo-ing

 
This picture might not speak a thousand words but it has 2 words & $349 on it.

Xbox geek,
Benjamin

No comments: