Thursday, November 27, 2003

Stranger

Well with my final year project over, there is still one more agenda to accomplish.

My video club duties. Barely less than 24 hours where the stress mounted to insurmountable heights to my presentation, i was thrown back into the duty coming face to face with the year 2s. And i was still wishing for some reasonable amount of rest but no. I got to wake up by 7 tommorrow to reach school by 9. Sigh, I lead a wonderful but tiring life.

Topic of the day: Approaching Strangers

Well due to lots of schdeuling problems here and there, it was a last minute decision to audition for people for the course video i'm doing for my school. You see, i'm the director aka leader of the project of doing up a School Course video for secondary school to come to SP. Well, as it was a last minute decision, and everything needed to be rushed, I personally called the talents myself.

This was where the problem lies. And i'm sure everyone has it too. It is something that your mother warns you not to do but you still do it anyway. Talking to strangers. At my disposal was 20 phone numbers, of beautiful people (or so called recommended by Section Heads) and I had to well, dialled their number.

It is always strange when you are talking to someone new, someone who might seem older, stranger and weirder. Everyone builds up a comfortable circle of friends and a majority simply refuses to open the gate for anybody new when they know they have enough. So, wherever you meet someone new, there is always that tinge of hesitation and struggle for acceptance to open that gate.

Strangers always seem like strangers. They have that distance away from you, be it age, race or even brain matter. People simply just cannot accept anything new in their social boundaries. Imagine someone calling you out of the blue, the first thing on your mind is to figure in this order:

A. Who is he/she?
B. What does she want from me?
C. How can I end this phone conversation as civil as possible?

Well, I called like 30+ numbers and the first thing was bewilderement, followed by shock and then fake modesty. I called them because they were beautiful and we needed them. Some were decent and polite, some were just brash and rude.

C'mon. I'm a stranger to you but is it so hard to accept one. Even though i'm asking a favour from you, I am not going to ask you to cut off your limbs, get fake boobs or strip for me. All I ask is to allow me to show me your God glorified face for a video and get out of there before I use a jackhammer to frustrate for god's unfairness to me. Other than that, accept a stranger for who they are. If someone calls my number, even by accident, I would ask them whether were they looking for me. If not, I would ask them to go to hell because they just wasted my bloody time where I could go pester more strangers for the video.

- Ben

P.S. Strangers reading this, please note. Call my number if you are beautiful because I need you for the video. Please dial 1900-GOD-PUNISH-ME-FOR-BEING-BEAUTIFUL. Thanks

No comments: