Monday, November 10, 2003

Humour

Stumbled onto a funny site. It will definently spice up your Mondays.

The story of the Turtle & the Hare

The Matrix: Chinese Heinenken

Italians & Europeans: The Difference


Well, after those laffs. I'm sure you will be ready for your daily dosage of sacrasm and downright obscene opinions by moi.
Did nothing much today except working on work. What else?

The topic for the day is : Beggars

I was coming home from watching the Matrix Revolutions and as I stepped off the escalator to the bus stop, a man aged 40 plus approached me.

40+ man: "Ah di ah, what time is it now?"

Me being the ever sincere and helpful person, gave him the time.
Me: "10.30pm"

40+ man: "Ah di ah, you got change anot for $1?"

Right there and then, I knew that the Uncle was totting me for money for no returns.
My daft reply was quick and swift. "No." And i promptly walked away.

Why did this little encounter raised such a big issue for me? Personally, I'm neither rich nor poor. I have able legs and hands and so does that uncle from the outlook of things. From the way he dresses, he looks financially capable enough to get a job instead of getting spare change from me. If you want dough, you have to go make your own dough, be it picking up empty aluminium cans or working as a security guard. I know that i'm being very evil by criticising people who are old enough to be my dad or even my grandparents but you see, my parents much less my grandparents worked until they retired. Get a job, increase Singapore's unemployement rate, boost our economy and stop irritating me at bus stops.

Another reason why I want to mention Beggars for today's topic was because of how cunning they are. Like the uncle who approached me, he tried to downplay the encounter by luring me to a helpful state so that I can assist a financially-strapped uncle like him. Recent newspapers reports mentioned that there were some beggars whom acted disabled when they are not. They are depiscable I tell you and hence my stingy mannerisms in donating money to these sit-there-&-play-act-people.

Remembering one scenario of a blind beggar who went to McDonalds and this lady waved a French fry in his face and his "eyes" followed the motion of the fry. But the beggar refused and insisted for more. This scenario disgusts me mainly because of how lazy and knaving that they are. That is why I never donate to a charitable cause and even if i do, I would do it in VERY reluctant circumstances.

You see, I want to know where my contribution goes to. Even though my maegre donation of $2 does not make much impact in the organization, I would at least deserve to know where I put my hard-saved money to. That is why you don't see me calling those 1900-charity lines or dropping in coins at donation cans because you see, who the hell knows where the money goes? My bet is a majority of the money is spent on the renovation of zen-like gardens in old folks home which I deem is unnceccesary or to the pockets of the Director of the non-profit organization. In either case, I would rather give my money to that uncle because at least I know he will use the money to buy Tiger beer that will help increase Asian Breweries share price and boost the economy.

If you think I'm mean. So be it. These are my exact thoughts. If i ever end up as a beggar, there are a few options that I would choose. A 17th floor window ledge to jump from or becoming a security guard. Either case, I would choose the latter because I know I will be killed by my colleague anyway by earning money AND getting insurance for my leftover family members.

- Benjamin

No comments: