Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Monkey

Every monkey has its day.

To sum it all up, it has been a whirlwind of the events that has zoomed past these 3 days. Frustration, anger, glee, irriatation, joy and pissed off were some of my moods that I encountered through my days of preparation for my final year project. It's finally over !! My consultancy got 2nd out of 3 teams !!!

We were clearly the underdogs, if you read the previous posts before and last monday, we had that sinking feeling when we saw how the other 2 teams performed excellently at a rehearsal. Prior to this day, which was Hari Raya, my team gathered at my house, practiced, slogged and readied ourself, meeting our fate of being the 3rd team. We were saying any awards that we took was a consolation to us.

In the end, Felicia in my team got Best Presenter Award and we got the Best Tactics. Our campaign revolve the central idea of using a mascot, Libby, an animated monkey.



I like this picture the best. A crazy poseur like me. Anyway we got 2nd ! Yeah! Because a scary mime who looks like a chainsaw terrorist had more appeal than a cute and loveable monkey to young children. Well, i'm not the judge anyway but nonetheless, i'm satisified with my accomplishment.

One great thing after I realised 10 minutes after getting the envelope was a sudden strike of realization. It suddenly occured to me that no matter what position we got, I had learn valuable lessons. I'm not saying this like "I got second and i'm so sore that I lost 1st place that I have to console myself" that type of attitud but I'm saying is I got more what I bargained for. Steps along the way, I had a refresher course on Photoshop when I was doing the creatives.

All that said and done, I'm still proud of my bloody monkey, as long as he doesn't go too wacko to become a mime.

We had a celebration after that and we went to Marche and Haagen Daz at Esplanade. We ate a tonne full and everyone was ready to vomit like the Merlion. My craving for cookies and cream still exist of course but for those cookies and cream cravists like me, AVOID Midnight Cookies n Cream. It is just another revamped name of Cookies and Cream in Chocolate ice-cream that is distasteful and DESTROYS the original taste of the Cookies AND Cream.

Topic of the day: Love vs Work

It was an overly pleasant day for me, only my journey back home from City Hall kind of depressed me. I'm sure you all know of the show Tempatation island where singles mix with other long-standing couples to tempt them to break up from their current relationship. Well, try Tempatation Train where I saw couples splitting the new paper, couples cornered in an area where they cannot keep their hands to themselves and EVEN a magazine mocked my singlehood. 8 days was showing a couple position of Tay Ping Hui and Fann Wong. Sigh, all i was really tempted to chainsaw off all the clutched-couple-hands or to call Hotel 81 to make a booking for them.

I mean, I enjoy my single life. I never had a relationship for the past 3 years. Am i normal ? Or do I have different priorities from others ? I'm focusing on my education and increasing my experience in the expertise of the mass communication field of writing, designing and video production. I see people younger than me like 14 yr olds sharing an ice-cream cone at McDonalds. I would be lying if I did not feel a tinge of jealousy but on the other hand, I'm perfectly contented with keeping my hands busy.

The worst scenario is to see me end up as a 40 year old wrinkld succesful bachelor. Someone who has all the 5 C's except the most important C, the Care for another individual. If I end up like this, I shouldnt be considered a human being if i end up being a hardworking but uncaring bachelor and all that I would care about would be whether should I call the reception of Hotel 81 or buy a chainsaw.

I foresee this possibility. Let us hope I dont fall down this category of being miserable, lonely but succesful person. It seems that a price that success has to pay is your loss of touch with the human emotional world. This great expense should be duly weigh upon before any action. Have you sacrificed your family to put in more working hours? Well, I see the world will be facing this possibility instead with us evolutionizing into greater heights. Let us dont fall off the tower and end up being a lifeless carcass.

- Ben

No comments: