Sunday, August 08, 2004

Boo to Parades

With the recent fuss of National Day always around the corner in late July and early August, all the local media can do is garble how special this year's National Day as compared to previous years.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a true blue (or is it red?) Singaporean and I thank it for giving me security, education and glorious fatty fusion cuisines.

I've even pondered to be a quitter (read last year's National Day rally I think), to get my degree, work a few years here and emigrate but that's too early to tell.

There's still family and we all know what big things Singapore has to offer to keep me entertained on their mini island.

(For those without a skeletal structure, please sense my sacarsm)

I mean look at it this way. I would gladly serve National Service becoz of our shortage of manpower.

I know I'm being put to good use somehow if need of war or when I'm trapped in a lift.

But, seriously.

Has anyone question why is there a need for a National Day Parade?

So much expense is placed into it. Loads of manpower, logistical consideration and tax payers money is spent on this one day on goodie bags, light sticks and fireworks that fritters after 30 seconds.

Call me a cynical anti-PAP youth or whatever but I just have this thought.

Why waste so much money on this faithful day? (Also note that they have lots of rehearsals and a trial parade).

I have a suggestion.

To celebrate August 9th, our liberation date, why don't we excel in doing what is really needed most.

Communal bonding.

People from different races interacting and getting to know one another better.

Networking session perhaps but it can be a day where effort is placed into enhancing relationships be it with colleagues or neighbours.

Take this current scenario:

At least 5,000 people are deployed to execute the National Day parade.

For what ? To show our neighbours like Malaysia, Indonesia or even USA on how strong our military is and how unified our multi-racial citizens are?

I guess there is no need for that as we have transformed tremendously for the past few decades thank you very much.

Instead, transfer all the funds and manpower to organize events where people can meet-up, chat and relax.

For example, our President can invite a few of his mates from wherever be it Suharto or Megawati to have a simple dinner and talk about bilateral ties or whatever shit politicians do like improving the number of dustbins around MRT stations or how to make the sky even more blue and haze-free.

To conclude, I pretty much loathe National Day Parade for what it stands for.

It might symbolize a unified nation but to think about practical costs, is it really that worth it?

So many people participating in the event complain and whine and antagonize the amount of waiting and trouble that have to go through.

It might be fanciful for small kids to look at fireworks and a parade to give him the impression of Singapore One United but we all know that Singapore has been beneficial to us with a sense of warmth and comfort.

That's what Civil & Moral Education in primary and secondary school is for, right ?

Don't get me wrong, I commerate special days like Aug 9th or my birthday (Aug 31st)[get the hint again].

But to me, National day parade is just so wrong.

Cynical nationalistic practicalist,
Benjamin

No comments: