Sunday, December 07, 2003

Run

I ran at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon today.

Waking up in the active hours of an Owl, I was eager to soar through the mini marathon which I signed up with. Let me give you a little background of my athletic incapabilities.

When I was back in St. Stephens Primary School, my whole afternoon consisted of running around playing in the big open field of running. "Cops and robbers" was the most popular game that I recall and I earned the nickname, "Cheetah" because of my ferocious speed.

My speedy antics halted the moment I went to Secondary School. I was firstly overwhelmed with all the CCAs and I hesitated. I didn't had any interest to join any sports or uniform group. I joined the band after 7 months because the music teacher caught my wanderlust interest and I joined the band. There I blew my clarinet for 4 faithful years.

During my upper sec years, we had to take our physical fitness test. To sum it all up, blowing the clarinet was detrimental to my health it seems as I barely scraped bottom for gettting a point for my 2.4 km run. Least to say, my stamina weaken to a strand and worsen to a tinge during the lull period of 7 months awaiting for poly to start.

With a hectic 3 years poly life, it was suicidal to join a sports related club. Look what I have turned out to be, a scrawny guy filled with sacarsm and insecurity about his fitness. I'm gathering names to see who is willing to bet me that I would be sick and disgusting with all types of diseases by 28.

Back to now, I was determined to finish as fast as possible. For 10 km, i had estimated a range of 1hr and 15 mins. I took less than an hour. It is pathetic considering that "industry standard". I lost my buddy, Petrina whom I was suppose to meet from the start and I ended up finding her at the end. We told ourselves that we will improve our time by at least 10 minutes.

Hence, my dedication now lies for 2 things. My fitness and my education. I have studied like hell for my diploma even though they reflect grades of a slacker and I'm gonna start improving my stamina. The only way to go is no more procrastination.

Yes, I will exercise. I'm already scringing at the thought of it but the very fact that having good health and an appealing body would help up my stakes in the other realm of my life, my love life. Which i am putting that on hold for the moment even though I'm deeply in love with someone.

Sacrifice is the way to go, it seems. I lead a cruel world. I am feeling the aches of the run, i will feel it for more months to come.

- Ben

No comments: