Friday, December 26, 2003

Frenzy

Something really bad happened today.

My laptop almost joined a heap of junk. Yup, I spilled a small drop of water from the cup I was drinking and kaboom !, the screen gave me a bare look of barely 5 seconds. 3 blinks and poof ! It waved me goodbye with a black screen that loomed over the stunned look on my face.

It was a mad scramble after that. The tissues and the harried fussing over where the water spots dripped to. When all seemed well, I pressed the power button. It greeted me with no fuss, but what preceeded after that brought me to my knees. It wouldn't start at all.

That one hour was like hell. My life depended clung onto the oxygen as well as my laptops' intake of electrodes. No internet, no life, no me, no more blog. I had two options. I took the immediate one. The screwdriver kit.

I'm no mechanic thats for sure. But somehow somewhere inside of me wanted to dry up the bloody mess I created due to pure carelessness and off I went unscrewing the 17 screws off my laptop. Yeah, yeah stupid me. I should have left it to the professionals. After I unscrewed everything, the lid refuses to come off. I could use force to unhinge the back cover. I restraint myself. And i screwed everything back. I didn't want to screw the software AND the hardware in less than an hour.

And so, I press the power button back again. A miracle ensues, the Windows XP screen greeted me. I wiped sweat off my brow. I waited in reeked anticipation for my login screen. Screen blinks again. Voila ! It works !!! It's alive , it's alive!!!

Now, the calamity wasn't over yet. I had to type in my password. 5 simple words. I knew my keyboard on my laptop was screwed somehow. It was indeed. I couldn't type in my password. The liquid had seeped into the keyboard circuit, most likely screwing itself over the wonderful keys. I restrained myself hitting my head on the wall.

Another miracle happened though. Luckily, my password was entered, I manage to get to the desktop interface. First thing I did, went to Microsoft Word to type out what wasn't working. I calculated a total of 10 keys that weren't working. I knew i was so screwed.

I went to the acer website to salvage whatever information i could gather. The thing was, I couldnt type out the URL because some alphabets were keys that I couldnt type. Like an ancient typewriter, I copied and paste each alphabet that wasn't working. The doom I faced just felt like a vortex.

The vortex vanished like evaporation. As time trickles, keys started working again and the whole system looks like it is pretty normal. I'm now contemplating whether I should go to Jurong and use my warranty or save the trip. Still thinking though.

This whole incident taught me a big lesson. It is the small things in life that we don't appreciate that we end up in the end moaning about. I have a laptop and I use it lazily on my bed. I do practically everything on my bed except my baths, excretions and disposal of waste. Having lunch on the bed while surfing the internet IS definently not a good idea. I'm making a few changes to this bed-everything policy. No more doing anything toxic or radioactive near the laptop. Unless you enjoy a day like me where you feel like screwing something or screwing yourself.

- Benjamin

No comments: