Saturday, October 25, 2003

Resolutions

Today is October 25th.

The very first day of my school holidays. My last post was in the first week of September. You can see how busy I was from the time lapse that i don't update my blogs.

Many things have happened. Where should I start .....

Well first and foremost, I'm relieved from my scholarly duties. Thus, no more mind-numbing deadlines to catch. Come to think of it, I liked the thrill of deadlines. Being a systematic and synchronic person as defined by the horscope of Virgo (i'll reveal more details at another date), I always like to know that I owned a purpose in life, like doing things to know my exsistence in life like being "useful". Other than that, if i don't feel needed, I might well be an expired tuna can.

Sex and the City. Not as though as i'm getting any action but during these stressful weeks, the only thing relaxing was watching Sex and the City. (Not that i find blogging stressful, i just find it an arena for me to churn my creative juices). Singapore banned Sex and the City because it portrays women in a very chauvanistic manner, un-characteristic in the Asian culture. What i feel though was that it was the truth, the mind-provoking truth that are faced by Women everywhere in the world of their thoughts of relationships, career and family although it varies on certain degrees in different contexts of course.

Amongst all that work and "sex", i did do something extraordinary. I joined a school theatre production and acted as a role of a lawyer advocating that Singlish was perfectly okay. Well, why I find this task extraordinary is my workload as a third year student. Students already have problems facing deadlines and understanding concepts like database marketing in Customer Relationship Management or cultural imperialism on South-east Asia in Media in Asia. I on the other hand like to add more load to my work load by having my evenings taken up by rehearsals. All wells that ends well as my play was rather successful. As quoted from one critic: " I find it really really good. And that fact that I'm an avid arts person." Not that i'm praising myself that I'm a good actor but if you don't give yourself confidence in whatever you are doing. Who will ? (To note, all other actors and have actresses equally put in al ot of hard work and determination and I appluad that for them too.)

It is the beginning of a new semester for me. The holiday semester. A countdown of 71 days of holidays to spent. I don't intend to get a job. Actually I do, everyone needs money and me likewise but still, everyone i know of is going for an internship programme whereas i intend to concentrate on other things like preparing myself to be a national slave for 2.5 years. I dont want to exhaust an additional 3 months of extra basic military training if i dont have to so i would rather spent these 2 months now at my own relaxation to train up.

I hear disgust in your voice. The Benjamin that you know of is scrawny, lazy and repulsive. It would take an elephant to lift him from whatever he is doing to start himself off on any exercise training programme much less "work". I don't intend to have an exercise training programme but I intend to do something, i have 1 week to plan. Give me some time to plan. I'll get back to you on this.

As I was whining to my mother just now, it is the first day of the holidays but i'm already bored. I handed up my last assignment of the semester at 11 am today and after that, it went all downhill. Had my lunch, headed home, played computer games until i was extremely bored, went online to meet friends but apparently all my frens dissappeared to do something interesting unlike me. I wanted to play mahjong in the afternoon and i garned ZERO replies. (Actually i did, i got one of my friendss but she withdrew 10 minutes after agreeing to play. Humph, of all nerve!!!)

What do i intend to do for the rest of these 71 days ? Hmmm, this is what i have planned tentatively in my mind. First priority is to train for the hard work as a national slave. Second priority is to build my portfolio. I have signed myself for a Video Studio production workshop in school for 2 days and I have tied myself in leading a group of year 2 students to produce a 4 and half minute corporate video to promote courses of School of Business.

The lecturers who "roped" me in said it was gonna be tough work considering the year 2 students do not know how to use the Video cameras. On the other hand, i thought i had problems using the Video cameras much less that i had to impart my un-knowledge to students. I know how to use a video camera, EVERYONE does. It is how you use it. I don't profess to being an expert but I know a trick or two about video cameras that is worth my trade.

I'm re-learning a few design programmes this semester to keep myself updated. Photoshop, Pagemaker and Premeire. Basic design programmes that i have already learned but I need to know more tricks. I'm learning more programmes though like Freehand, AfterFX and Flash and hopefully, this holiday semester is the most productive in terms of skill level for all the holidays I have been having. And if i don't happen to learn all of them, I could at least said i tied = P

Well, I've blogged alot and now, it's time to take a break. I'll tell you more how I intend to build up my writing portfolio another time.

Also, i intend to make this blog a semi-boring, semi-slice of life blog. Hope readers have not taken to falling asleep yet, lol.

Benjamin

No comments: