Sunday, October 26, 2003

Audition

I played mahjong last night with a couple of friends. Started losing REALLY badly like S$40 in the first hour. As the night still became more silent than ever, my luck powered up !!! I can't believe i won in the end.

Back to what i did during my abscene in blogger. As i was saying, i wanted to build up my portfolio, one way was to improve my writing skills. Now, i want to profess something. I never was a writer, a good writer to boot at all. I think my grammer is out of place, my vocabulary is haywire and my sentence structure needs HDB to come in.

One good thing about me is my ability to think of interesting topics. That is the only area I feel that i'm dynamic at considering my brain doesn't even form proper composition during secondary school. Recently, I joined the school editorial team and guess what, it seems they willingly accepted my volunteerism in their stable of steady writers who wrote pretty well.

Most of them are reporters. I, on the other hand like to cover something more "exciting". More controversial, like social issues facing us (teenagers). I wrote a piece on "procrastination" and ironically i wrote it in 2 hours after i thought of that idea. The ironic part was I did not procrastinate writing this article where in normal circumstances, I normally would just write some rubbish and then save it and forget ALL about it. Must be i'm maturing haha.

Speaking of maturity, now that i'm not the youthful eighteen i was, I'm O-L-D. Speaking of which, I have loads of facial hair. If i don't shave one day, my face would be incorrigible to face the public.. Which i will come to the moral of my post today. Age.

I went for an audition for a movie production. There were 3 roles, looking for boys aged 18-28. So happen the biggest brother is 22 years old becoz they have picked him out and so, the other 2 have to be younger than him. On the day of audition, it was after my presentation so i dressed formally. So this was what happened.

Auditioner: Wah, welcome, take a sit and fill in the form.

Auditionee (me) : Okay

Auditioner: (Looks at me from head to toe) So, how old are you?

Before I could answer, the Auditioner says.....

Auditioner:" The role of the oldest brother has been filled up. I see what other roles I can let you audition for."

Me : (Momentarily stunned) But I'm.....

Audtioner: Here. (Throws the booklet of words at me) Read this part.

Me : (Finishing my last sentence) 19.

Auditioner: (Takes out a spectacles and then scans me again, this time taking a more scrutinised look) Are you sure you're 19 ?

Me : (Cursing under my breath) Yes, I'm pretty sure i'm 19.

Auditioner: Oh. Anway just read that part.

From the point on, I knew i had no role to play in this movie. Not that i'm seeking the glamour of the limelight but for me, if you haven't tasted it, try it. You are only young once.

I didn't know that you expired at 18. I haven't even experience life yet and there she threw me back on the pavement. The Movie industry is tough indeed. Well, at least i tried to make an effort. So no matter what age you are, give something a try. You don't want to be six feet under thinking that you failed to bungee jump, kill a cockroach or stab a casting director with a penknife in the back.

Thats all I have for today. I will do something useful now. That is if i can find any.

- Benjamin

No comments: