Monday, October 27, 2003

Forgetfulness

There are some days you are aware of something and there are some days that you always forget.

Today was one of those days. Today is the official third day of my break and what good way to start if off is to screw up a meeting with a lecturer.

I always keep appointments. Period. Worst comes to worst, I will be late but by then, I would have messaged the person-at-waiting then I would be late by 5 minutes. Today, would also officially be the first day of the year of me not keeping up with an appointment.

It was a usual day for me waking up to oblivion, bumming around and not checking my handphone. I turned my handphone to silent mode (Yes i'm that stupid! Who turns their handphone to silent mode at home .... duh !!!!). At 11 am, I so happen to pass by my handphone and there it was 2 messages for me. To my suprise, my lecturer messaged me to ask WHERE I WAS ?. I stood there dumbfounded. Halfway pondering whether to knock my head on the left pillar or on the right pillar. This was an important appointment for me as it was to commencement of a school project that I committed myself to as a leader and there I was, absent from the first meeting !!! First time i feel so blonde.

I cleared the air after 10 minutes later and some blood stains on both the pillars, I called and the meeting was arranged for tommorrow at 10 am. If you don't see me blog by tommorrow night, that means I would have ended up at Changi Hospital with a concussion.

I had an easy breezy day after that wrongful affair in the morning. Lazing around my computer in card games chatroom, reading the papers and learning the new software called AfterFX, as time passed by, it was 3 pm.

Then, out of nowhere, my editor messaged me. To meet him today at his office !!! Well, since I was already so relaxed in the comforts of my home, I arranged a meeting at 3 pm tommorrow. So there, a day with nothing will evolved to the next day where i get my hands full.

To make things worse, the moment i told my editor i'll see him tommorrow at 3 pm (which i think the meeting will be over at around 5pm), it struck me I had ANOTHER appointment.

I have a chalet at 2pm with my course buddies. I self-restraint myself from the pillar and looked at the chronology of events that will be happening tommorrow. 10 am meeting with lecturer. Lunch at 2 pm. Editor meeting at 3pm. Reach home by 6pm. Leave home by 6.30 to reach chalet premises at 7.15. Get lost in the maze of A - F chalets. Reach bbq pit by 8 pm.

A packed day and it is my holidays =). Nevertheless, if you read my last entry, this events keep me going as at least I have a direction in life. I can't imagine myself aimless with nowhere to go.

The moral of today's post is: Balancing time and work

Are you the type who would like to laze around ? Or are you the type who need to be on your toes ? I'm the latter though but what keeps people motivated to busy themself with so many stuff when they can have a 2 months holiday lying there on a beach chair tanning themselves till the cows turn black themselves. As i learnt from my module UCCD, there are 3 reasons why people seek work. One of these reason is to maintain interaction with civilisation. I think that is my driving force for making myself work tirelessly to a goal, however dumb or useless as it maybe. I see that as life's path of experiences and I have to savour it as life flashes past me, however bitter or sweet it maybe, it will eventually have an impact in my life down the road.

As sad as it sounds, i don't really have a large circle of friends. Even so, my circle does not consist of what would consider as buddies but more like acquaintances. I do have a handful of friends to provide me emotional support when i need the, but being a Virgo myself, it would be preferable that i fly solo in anything that i do. To relate this back to my moral of the day, as much time as you spent on your work, take time off to have a social life or you will end up like a shrewd miserable scrooge like me 50 years down the road with nobody to love but with everyone's hatred.

I sound so miserable but it is the harsh truth. It would be delusional to lie to myself where this blog is my confessional to everything i have to say. A reflection of my life. Be damned if I have to be self-delisional.

- Benjamin

No comments: