Friday, August 10, 2007

Singaporean solidarity

I think to testify being a Singaporean, you would need to be away from Singapore for a period of time to know what's it like.

Just a few hours ago, it was Singapore's 42nd birthday.

And, unlike every year where I try to avoid watching NDP as I still reckon it's whole waste of tax payers money to show our neighbours our military strength, I went against my own convention and WATCH it.

Along with 100+ Singaporeans crammed in a lecture hall.

Watching from thousand miles away in Brisbane.

Watching the live telecast from the distance.

Feeling the big difference. Of a thousand miles.

On missing the whiff of home.

Because I did. I did not tear but when Kit Chan sang the theme song for the year, I think it was throughly heartfelt among the people that sat around me.

A still silence of soaking in the lyrics of the song, sinking deep into our hearts.

The camaraderie is amazing.

The national pledge and the singing of the anthem.

You can see the wholeheartedness from the spoken words.

I found that truly amazing.

From a thousand miles.

And everyone yearns to be home to familiar sounds and smells.

This is where the heart is.

Happy Birthday Singapore = )

No comments: